Hasselblad Polaroid: that wax over the impressed surface

Submitted by franzi on Mon, 02/03/2014 - 18:44

Dear Club Hasselblad,

i have a question and hope you could help me out: some years ago a professional photographer took a snapshot of me and a friend during a party with an old Hasselblad, extracted the polaroid from the magazine and gave it to us right away as a souvenir. Before handing it he rubbed the impressed surface of the photograph with a rich portion of a sort of fat, transparent wax that shortly dried out: that greasy layer protected the photo through the years and gave it a nice rough and matt texture.

Could you help me out finding that product again?

Thank you in advance.

I think it's called Renaissance Wax. I've heard of other people using artists' varnish.